A little later than planned but nonetheless, Mozilla has released the first developer milestone of Firefox 3.6 code named Namoroka. Namoroka is built on pre-release version of the Gecko 1.9.2 platform, which forms the core of rich internet applications such as Firefox. Please note that this release is intended for developers and testers only.
This Alpha of Namoroka / Gecko 1.9.2 introduces several new features:
- Compositor (Phase 1), which moves Gecko to using one native widget per top-level content document. See this blog post or bug 374980 for more details.
- A new focus model, described here and tracked in bug 178324
- The chromedir attribute has been replaced with a pseudoclass
- Several new CSS3 properties including background size and gradients for background images
- Startup and responsiveness improvements throughout the application
Before jumping in and downloading this release, it is suggested to read the article about Firefox 3.6 for developers on the Mozilla Developer Center. For a full list of changes, see this list (it’s big).
Please use the following links to download Namoroka:
- Windows: Namoroka 3.6 Alpha 1 Setup.exe
- Mac OS X: Namoroka 3.6 Alpha 1.dmg
- Linux: namoroka-3.6a1.tar.bz2
Source: Mozilla Developers News