A Mac user recently contacted The Guru regarding Mouse Pointer problems which had started earlier in the week. Since I have really no idea what is causing this and also since I am not a Mac user, I am re-posting their contact in hopes that one of our readers will have an idea as to what is going on.
I am using Firefox 7.0.1 Release Update Channel [Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1] on a MAC PRO.
NOTE: This issue does NOT affect SAFARI web browser. Safari works fine. This issue concerns only FIREFOX.
1. After I did a regular cache dump from the home library, hard drive
library, and system library, I quit out Firefox from the Firefox menu.
Upon restart, I noticed that the mouse-over does not ‘auto-switch’
from the ‘I-Beam’ pointer, to the ‘Arrow’ pointer, to the
‘Finger/Hand’ pointer. Or it is very slow or erratic in changing.
2. Mouse-over doesn’t highlight embedded links.
3. Extensions ‘Tab-Scope’ doesn’t work 100%. It has the drop-down
features, but does not give miniture pop-up preview as I scroll
horizontally across the tabs as before.
4. Extensions ‘Thumbnail-Zoom’ doesn’t work.
5. Mouse freezes wen pop-up ‘Tab-Scope’ is visible in tab bar. I have
to click in null area on specific page to make pop-up tab disappear.
6. Mouse-over ‘I-Beam’ pointer, ‘Arrow’ pointer, ‘Finger/Hand’
pointer, partially work on some pages (national news/email), but not
at all on other pages.
7. I have tried every troubleshoot suggestion given by Firefox but
nothing seems to work.
8. Called Apple and since Safari works with no problems, they cannot
9. Have disconnected modem before, during, after restarts and no
10. All software is up-to-date.
11. Did recent computer cleaning that involved: 1. Performed Cache
Dumps to home library, hard drive library, and system library. 2.
Checked File System for Errors on MAC PRO. 3. Ran Verify Repair Scan
on Startup Disk for Errors. 4. Zapped the PRAM on MAC PRO. 5. Used
System Profiler on MAC PRO to optimize computer performance.
What is causing this problem. I have been using FireFox for over 5
years. This problem first appeared on Tuesday, October 25th, 2011.
The user also went to FireFox’s ‘Troubleshooting extensions and themes (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting%20extensions%20and%20themes#w_updating-extensions). In additon they tried:
- Start Firefox in Safe Mode. The problem still occurs in Safe Mode
- Turn off hardware acceleration. No luck.
- Switch to the default theme. No luck.
- Disable all extensions. No luck.
- Test for faulty extensions. No luck
- Updating extensions. No luck
- Checking extension settings. No luck
- Downloaded another FireFox 7.0.1 Release Update Channel, installed it, and deleated the old version that may have been corrupt. Still no luck.